Saturday 26 March 2011

So it goes...needs to go

Like many of the books I read after entering high school, Slaughterhouse Five was confusing at times. So in the beginning of the novel, I thought it was a very creative way for Vonnegut to use "So it goes" as a way to hint to the readers that someone in the book had died. However, this admiration slowly became annoying as I continued my reading.

As I read on, I found that "So it goes" would come after every mention of an ended life. No matter if they were human or not. The hint I enjoyed catching in the beginning then slowly turned to something confusing that I dread reading every time I pick up the book. And when you pick up the book to read, there will surely be at least 5 "so it goes" in one reading.

A fictional novel by Kilgore Trout who wrote about a money tree that "attracted human beings who killed each other around the roots" (p.167), used the same careless tone of "So it goes" as after Billy's wife died. This makes me think that the life of a family would have the same value in comparison to a fictional character's death.

As much as I enjoy this book and love reading about the fascinating adventures of Billy Pilgrim's "Time Travel",
So it goes...NEEDS TO GO!!!

poo-tee-weet

                                                               - Yuemin

No comments:

Post a Comment