Saturday 16 April 2011

konnichiwa!!!!!!

If I were to write a novel, which I don't suppose I would ever, it would be on geishas. When I first heard about geishas, I went along with the general assumption that they are high-class prostitutes who dressed in expensive kimonos and entertained their guests. My assumption didn't change until about two years ago, when I read a book called "Memoir of a Geisha". The novel was written by Arthur Golden about a fictional geisha called Nitta Sayuri. The novel starts with Sayuri explaining the tremendous amount of effort it takes to be immaculate in her industry: "A story like mine should never be told. For my world is as forbidden as is fragile. Without this mystery, it cannot survive." Every single sentence followed that sounded equally intriguing and fascinating. She then went on telling about different events that occurred in her life which have mold her into the most celebrated geisha.  She was born in a remote fish village to a fisherman and a housewife. Her mother died when she was young. Because her family wasn't wealthy, her father sold her to a tea house so he can afford a coffin for his wife. Sayuri started as a servant, then became an apprentice geisha because of her exceptional beauty. She attended parties and her social, dancing, tea serving skills gained her reputation. Suddenly she was the most famous geisha in Gion. Then WWII came abruptly; She sold her kimonos and worked in a fabric factory as a labourer. Needless to say, her life fluctuated as much as Vonnegut's due to the war; Yet, when she is crippled and old, she came all the way to America to have Arthur Golden write a book about her. Her tenacious courage enchanted me and I feel that it is important to write about people who have been through all the ups and downs in life just like Vonnegut; This way, the book can medicate people's mind and help readers build strength and character while reading. So, if the accident will, if I ever write a book, it would be a fictional novel on another laudable geisha.

Poo-Tee-Wee
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment