Saturday 16 April 2011

Lazzarooooooooo!!!

With Billy Pilgrim still lingering in my mind, I thought about a post that I made a while ago on that dreary POW. In that entry, I made a connection between Billy and Cinderella; Then, I suddenly realized that the fairy blue godmother broke Lazzaro's arm! How ironic! Only Vonnegut can make a fairy blue godmother have red hair and a break someone's arm because he was caught stealing a pack of cigarette from an English man. Let's shift our attention to Lazzaro for this post. Personally, I don't think Lazzaro didn't get his fair share of lines in Slaughterhouse-Five especially when his characteristics are so prominent and intriguing. At first I assume that he was just another weak, little soldier who boast all day long about things that would never happen. Then, Billy was killed years after the war in New York and kept to his words: "Anybody touches me, he better kill me, or I'm gonna have him killed." The chance of seeing Lazzaro as kind is scarce, but Lazzaro did have one friend though- Roland Weary. Kindly, Lazzaro held Weary as Weary died and granted Weary's last wish; That is to have Billy Pilgrim Killed. Lazzaro kept to his promise ... but why would he travel all the to US just to grant some dead person's wish?  ...that's just Lazzaro being Lazzaro, I suppose.

Poo-Tee-Wee
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment